Sweet pineapple and banana, zesty and creamy frosting, and toasted pecans will make this extra-special cake from the Plant Based Cooking Made Easy cookbook your new go-to for any special occasion.
What you need:
For the cake:
3 cups oat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1½ teaspoons cinnamon
2 cups Medjool dates, pitted
2 cups unsweetened almond milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups mashed bananas
1 cup crushed pineapple
3 flax eggs (3 tablespoons flax meal plus 6 tablespoons water)
2 cups toasted pecans, divided
For the frosting:
2 cups cashews, soaked and drained
4 Medjool dates, pitted
½ cup plus 2 tablespoons water, divided
1 teaspoon vanilla
Juice of 1 lemon
¼ teaspoon salt
What you do:
- For the cake, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 3 9-inch cake pans with parchment paper.
- Into a medium bowl, mix oat flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Into a blender, add dates, almond milk, and vanilla, and blend until smooth.
- Stir blended mixture into dry ingredients. Fold in mashed bananas, pineapple, and flax egg. Fold in 1½ cups of pecans.
- Divide mixture between cake pans. Place in oven and bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool.
- For the frosting, into a blender, add cashews, dates, ½ cup water, vanilla, lemon juice, and salt and blend until smooth. Add remaining water if necessary to achieve desired consistency.
- Place cake on a cake tray or plate. Spread ½ cup of frosting onto top of cake. Top with second cake. Spread ½ cup of frosting on top. Add third cake and use remaining frosting to frost entire top and sides of cake. Sprinkle remaining pecans on top of cake and serve.
Photo credit: Jill and Jeffrey Dalton
Love vegan food and cooking as much as we do?
Get the BEST, editor-tested recipes inside every issue of VegNews Magazine. Find out why VegNews is the world’s #1 plant-based magazine by subscribing today!